How do I develop a research topic?
A research topic is a statement or an inquiry of a specific concern or issue. A good research topic should:
- Identify the paper's content in a few words
- Capture the reader’s attention
- Be unique in the subject area
How to develop a good research question?
1. Understand your assignment: Read your syllabus carefully and understand the requirements of the assignment, when in doubt, ask your professor for clarification.
2. Choose a topic of interest to you. This will make your research work more motived and enjoyable.
3. The research topic should be “workable”. It shouldn’t be too narrow or too broad. If your topic is too broad, you may have difficult time to find information that is relevant and focused. If you topic is too narrow, you may not be able to find enough information. For example, it will be extremely hard to write an article on “How to prevent drug abuse?“ because it is simply too broad. It should be narrowed down to a more focused question such as “How school programs prevent drug abuse?”
To learn more about how to develop a good research topic, click here to watch a video (Courtesy of Kansas State University Library).