How do I request a book from another university?
When you need an item that KSU does not have you have two options: GIL Express or Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
- GIL Express will allow you to order books only from any of the public colleges in GA (UGA, GSU, Georgia Tech etc.).
- Interlibrary Loan will let you request materials (including books, videos or articles) from public colleges outside of the state, private universities, and special libraries.
- Our Interlibrary Loan service is only available to currently enrolled KSU students, faculty and staff.
- For KSU students, faculty and staff the use of Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is free!
- For more information on our ILL services, visit our ILL Research Guide.
How to request a book through GIL Express:
1. Search the GIL Universal Catalog for books using Title, Author, or Subject. You can find the catalog under Useful Links and choose GIL EXPRESS.
2. A list of items matching your search will be displayed.
3. Find the item you wish to request from the list.
4. Click on the hyperlinked title of the item.
5. Under "Holdings" Click "Please Log in to enable Gil-Express Request"
6. Enter Home Instutution, Institution ID (KSU Number), Last Name, and PIN. (To find out how to get a PIN click here.)
7. Under "Holdings" Click "Place Gil-Express Request"
8. Make sure the prefered pick up library reads: "Kennesaw State University (Cnsld). Then choose the pick up location: Sturgis Library (Kennesaw Campus) or Johnson Library (Marietta Campus).
9. Pick up your book at either of the libraries' Check Out Desks. We will keep your item for two weeks before we return it to its home institution.
If you have trouble, please contact the library, 470-578-6202.
How to request an Item through ILL:
1. If you have the basic information for the item you want go to the Interlibrary Loan page. From the library homepage choose Interlibrary Loan from the Useful Links sidebar menu.
2. Login to your ILL account using your Net ID and Password
3. In the “New Requests” menu select “Book” or "Article" (or whatever you are requesting)
4. Fill out the template with the item information. If you would like the item sent to the Johnson Library, please indicate this in the notes field.
5. When the item has arrived you will be notified through KSU E-Mail
6. Pick up your books at either of the libraries' Check Out Desk. For articles you will need to login to your ILL account to access the electronic copy of the item.
For help with ILL requests please call 470-578-6002