Q: What are the call letters by subject for books on the shelves?
We use the Library of Congress Classification system here at the KSU Library System. While most colleges and universities use this system, you may be used to the Dewey Decimal System from your high school or public library.
Here is an example:
First by collection type:
- Reference (Sturgis/Kennesaw: 3rd Floor/Graduate Library)
- General Collection (Sturgis/Kennesaw: 2nd Floor)
- Teen Literature (Sturgis/Kennesaw: 3rd Floor)
Second by Subjects with Call Numbers
- Alphabetical: (A-Z) Each letter representing a subject with subcategories
- Numerical: (1 - 9999) further classifying each subcategory
How this works:
Sturgis General Collection - PS 1861 .C75
Sturgis General Collection The Sturgis Library Floor Map tells me this is on the 2nd floor.
PS Ordered alphabetically by first letter (P) then second letter (PR, PS, PT)
1861 Then by a whole number.
.C75 Finally another letter and a decimal number.
Last UpdatedJul 20, 2017
Ground Floor Library, G16 (Kennesaw)
First Floor Library, C125 (Marietta)