Q: What is Interlibrary Loan?
When you need an item that KSU does not have you have two options: GIL Express or Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
- GIL Express will allow you to order books only from any of the public colleges in GA (UGA, GSU, Georgia Tech etc.).
- Interlibrary Loan will let you request materials (including books, videos or articles) from public colleges outside of the state, private universities, and special libraries.
- Our Interlibrary Loan service is only available to currently enrolled KSU students, faculty and staff.
- For KSU students, faculty and staff the use of Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is free!
- You may not request textbooks through ILL. Textbook requests will be canceled.
- For more information on our ILL services, visit our ILL Research Guide.
ILL accounts become inactive after 2 years of no usage for security reasons. The accounts may be unblocked by contacting the ILL office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 470-578-6002.
How to request a book through GIL Express:
- Open GIL Find. On the library homepage, open the "Useful Links" menu and then click "Library Account" to open the GIL Find catalog.
- In order to request books through GIL Express, you need to log in to your library account:
- On the catalog search page, click "Sign In" in the top-right corner.
- In the "Log In As" box, choose "KSU Students & Faculty."
- Log in using your NetID and password.
- After you log in, you will return to the original search page in the catalog. Enter your keywords. Choose "University System of Georgia" (formerly called the Universal Catalog) from the drop-down menu to search for books available through GIL Express.
- Everything that matches your search will be displayed. Find the item you want to request and click the book title.
- On the book details page, click "Get It" underneath the book title.
- Click "More Libraries" in the "Get It" box.
- A box with all the libraries that own the book will appear. Click the name of a library to request their copy of the book.
- After you choose a library, you will return to "Get It" box. Now this box will show the information about the book at the library you chose.
- Click "Request" underneath the name of the library.
- Choose where you want to pick up the book. You can choose any school on the list.
- Select the university from the "Pickup Institution" menu. If you want the book to be delivered to KSU, choose Kennesaw State University from the menu.
- If the university has more than one library location, you can also choose the library. If you chose KSU in the last step, now you need to choose your library. You can choose Johnson Library on the Marietta campus, or Sturgis Library on the Kennesaw campus.
- Click "Request."
- You'll get an email when the book is ready to be picked up. Bring your KSU ID to the Check Out Desk to get your book. We will hold your books for 2 weeks before we return it to its home library.
If you have trouble, please contact the library, 470-578-6202.
How to request an item through ILL:
- If you have the basic information for the item you want go to the Interlibrary Loan page. From the library homepage choose Interlibrary Loan from the Useful Links sidebar menu.
- Login to your ILL account using your Net ID and Password.
- In the “New Requests” menu select “Book” or "Article" (or whatever you are requesting)
- Fill out the template with the item information. If you would like the item sent to the Johnson Library at Marietta Campus, please indicate this in the notes field.
- When the item has arrived you will be notified through KSU E-Mail.
- Pick up your books at either of the libraries' Check Out Desk. For articles you will need to login to your ILL account to access the electronic copy of the item.
For help with ILL requests please call 470-578-6002
For more help
For more help, email the ILL Office or call 470-578-6002 with any questions.
Last UpdatedJun 05, 2019
Ground Floor Library, G16 (Kennesaw)
First Floor Library, C125 (Marietta)