Q: How do I get a refund for unprinted copies due to a machine malfunction/paper jam?


If you try to print or copy something anywhere on either campus, you can request a refund from Copy/Print Services. You can use this form to request refunds whenever you experience an error:

  • At a KCash Terminal with loss of money
  • Receiving unusable copies or prints
  • Any other event that results in unusable pages or loss of funds

If you are at Sturgis Library and need additional help filling out the Copy/Print Refund Request Form, please go to the Check Out Desk. If you are at Johnson Library, please go to the Hive Information Desk. The staff at the Check Out Desk or the Hive Information Desk won't be able to refund your money, but they will be able to help you fill out the refund request form.

For more information

If you have questions about campus computers or software, please contact UITS.

If you experience any problems with any of the library databases or the library website, please fill out our complaint form.

If you have problems printing in the library, please visit the help desk.

Last updated

Last Updated

Oct 07, 2019


Research Help

Research Help - Summer 2021

Librarian Online Chat: 24 hours/day, 7 days/week
Call Us
470-578-6202 - Sturgis Library (Kennesaw Campus)
470-478-7276 - Johnson Library (Marietta Campus)

Schedule an Appointment